Friday, June 5

Arbitron Crank Yankers

A few weeks ago, I agreed to be random sample for Arbitron's radio ratings. It seemed harmless enough, and they were sending me a couple bucks with every communication. As part of the agreement, I had to keep a daily diary of the radio stations I listened to and where I listened to them (i.e. car, Internet, work, etc.) for one week. At the end (yesterday), I would mail back my diary to Arbitron, and they would send me a crispy check for $10!

So they called the day before my week was to start, to make sure I had the diary and was clear on everything. I assured them that I was. Then they called the next day. I did not pick up, because I recognized the number and didn't feel the need to speak to one of their call center people again.

Then they called the next day. And the day after that. And the day after that. They called every freaking day during my diary week. Being a male aged 18-35, I was a valuable commodity because my demographic typically does not agree to be a random sample, and those that do tend not to follow through with returning the diary. I wanted to tell them that I am not a stereotype, but instead I just never answered the phone.

Anyway, I placed my completed diary in the mail yesterday. Now I'm waiting for that big $10 check. I should note because I was lazy, I listened to the same station for pretty much the entire week (WXPN).

No comments: