Tuesday, December 23

This Is How We Do It

The picture says it all. I didn't want to comment on my co-ed volleyball team's exploits during the season, so as to not jinx it. But now that the season is over, I can confidently say Ryno Cable dominated.

We were regular season champs, going undefeated and only losing two games throughout the season. That was good enough for a $10 Dick's gift card for each player. We breezed through the double-elimination playoffs, leading up to tonight's championship match. Stunningly, we actually lost the first match, 1-2. But, with double elimination, the team had to beat us twice. And we crushed them in the second match, 2-0. That won us the shirt.

Being a novice player, I really enjoyed playing with my team (which included LRK). They were all better than I was, but they were patient and encouraging. In no way did I become a Kim Glass, Nicole Fawcett or Blair Brown (or Loy Ball), but I did make progress and improve throughout the season. It was a lot of fun, and the little personal victories (a good hit, set or BLOCK) were fulfilling. So was being part of a team that had fun playing together. I give all the credit to them.

Volleyball was cool to play. Basically playing baseball all my life, with some basketball, football and golf mixed in, volleyball provided a new challenge and a nice workout.

But anyway, congrats to Ryno Cable. We are the Champions!

No comments: