Sunday, June 17

Movie Commentary: Knocked Up


Saturday evening, I took in Knocked Up at Harrisburg's Regal Cinemas. Going in, I thought the movie would be funny, but I didn't know how "raunchy" it would be. It was the Judd Apatow factor. For example, I didn't think Apatow's The 40-Year Old Virgin was funny. I thought it was pretty crude. But...that could have at least partly been due to the person I saw it with. Maybe I need to see T40YOV again? I didn't totally know what to expect with Knocked Up.

I'm pleased to report that Knocked Up is a great movie. Disclaimer: if your co-movie goer doesn't mind f-bombs and a scene with a woman "crowning". However, the person I saw Knocked Up with reported it was a pretty funny movie and was seen laughing throughout.

Anyway, this is my commentary. All the positive buzz you've read about Knocked Up is accurate. Seth Rogan is very good and funny as Ben, an unemployed stoner-ish slacker. Katherine Heigl is equallly good as Allison, an E! producer who is promoted to E! reporter. It is that promotion she celebrates at a club, where she meets Ben. The two get drunk, go back to her place, and Allison ends up getting knocked up, obvs. Paul Rudd, who I generally like in all movies he appears in, plays Allison's brother-in-law (and fantasy baseball participator). Ben's group of friends is also very funny and entertaining, and there is a good movie-long gag on his one friend's appearance.

Knocked Up is funny and an all-around quality flick. You get laughs consistently through the film, however, everything is not candy, plastic and fairy tale-ish. I think the variety of laughs and the real issues couple to make Knocked Up what it is. KU is the funniest movie I've seen in awhile, and I would see it again (and again). So, props to Knocked Up.

No comments: